When generating a link report, sometimes there will be products which are not linkable. The Link Report displays any items that are possible to link and may also include products that can’t be linked.
Possible to link
- A parent product with child variants in your POS that matches with a parent product with the same child variants in your eCommerce
- 1 individual product in your POS that matches with 1 individual product in your eCommerce
Not possible to link
- A parent product with child variants in your POS that matches with individual products in your eCommerce, or vice versa. Products must have the same structure in both platforms to be linked.
To link products between your POS and eCommerce platforms, you must meet all of the following criteria:
1. You must have products listed in both platforms. If you have a new POS or eCommerce system with no products entered yet, you don’t need to link products. You can simply push products from one platform to the other to migrate your product catalog and sync your inventory. See the section Push your products for information on migrating products from one platform to another.
2. Your POS and eCommerce products must have either a common SKU, UPC/barcode, or product title.
Note: If the product titles are the only thing that matches between platforms, the products must also have a matching brand and price in order for SKU IQ to detect the products as a valid match.
3. Products must have the same structure between the two platforms in order to be matched by SKU, UPC, or product title, i.e. the item must be either a parent product with variants in both platforms, or items must be structured as individual products with no variants in both platforms.
In the image below, the POS shows a product group/matrix with 3 variants nested underneath it. However, the eCommerce platform shows the same product as three separate items, each with only one variant. Although they may be considered the same product, SKU IQ requires that both products have the same structure in order to be linked.
4. You must not have duplicate products listed in your POS or eCommerce platform.
5. Products must not have any duplicate variants.
6. The products you want to link in both platforms must be published, not archived or in draft mode.
How do I fix products that are not linkable?
If you have products that are not linkable, you can either 1) edit the products within your POS and eCommerce so they have matching attributes and matching structures, or 2) you can delete the item(s) from one platform and push it from the other. See the section Push your products for information on migrating products from one platform to another.
If you choose to edit your items to match, you may need to delete any products that are listed twice in your POS or eCommerce platform, add a SKU or UPC to the product, or make sure the product structure is the same between platforms.
If you need to change the structure of your product in one platform in order to get your products to sync, it’s always best to archive or delete the product group/matrix and then create brand new products. For example, if you need to change a product group in Square so it’s no longer in a matrix, archive or delete the product group and then create new separate products to reflect each variant that was in the group. If you edit a current product structure without archiving it and starting over from scratch, SKU IQ is not likely to be able to reimport that edited product correctly, which can lead to problems like duplicate variants. It is best practice to create a brand new product rather than edit an existing product so you can avoid having issues with getting your products to link properly.
Contact the SKU IQ support team if you need help understanding how to edit your products or if you have made edits to your POS or eCommerce inventory. If you’ve made multiple product edits, the support team can re-import your product catalog so that SKU IQ will reflect the latest changes.